CHEESY SOUTHWESTERN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

This yummy breakfast concoction is long gone but just looking at the pictures makes my mouth salivate at how delicious it was!
This casserole loaded with turkey sausage, veggies, lots of gooey cheese, bread and it is perfect for company – it makes a lot of food, is satisfying and of course very delicious. Here's the story behind it. My brother-in-law found this recipe and made it for us when we stayed at the house over the holidays. It was perfect and so flavorful so it was a must try for me. On a Sunday morning when it was even just my husband and I around, I made this and served it with some yummy fruit. So good, but there was of course, a lot left over. I took some to work for the girls to try and the boys reheated it for their morning's fuel up and I must say, it was even better heated up! I do love is that it's turkey sausage, eggs and veggies and the yummy salsa adds such a great flavor. I also used a lower fat Mexican cheese. 
An all around winner!! Great Brunch recipe too!! 
Yum


What You'll Need:

CHEESY SOUTHWESTERN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

Ingredients
1 pound Jennie-O Mild Breakfast Sausage
1 large onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
8 eggs
1 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup salsa
4 cups cubed white bread
2 1/2 cups Mexican Blend shredded cheese

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13” casserole dish with cooking spray. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Break up the sausage and cook until no longer pink
Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about five minutes.

While the veggies are cooking, whisk the eggs. Add to the eggs, the milk, salt, salsa, 1 1/2 cup cheese, and bread. Mix to combine.
Add the veggie and meat mixture, and stir together.
Pour the whole mixture into the prepared pan and top with 1 cup cheese. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the eggs are set.


Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before cutting into it.

*Note, I could not find the bulk turkey sausage at our grocery so I got the little links and just removed the casings before frying it up, it worked great!




HAPPY TASTY TUESDAY FRIENDS!!

Linking up with 

37 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I'm heading home this weekend and my dad always makes big weekend breakfasts when everyone is around. I am going to send this his way so he can add it to his recipe rotation!!
    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with cheese and I'm sold!! This sounds so good and I love that once it's cooked you can grab and go - reheat at work and enjoy!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! This is perfect for a weekend brunch!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!!
    Jaymie
    www.jaymieashcraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be so great if you're having a small group over for brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious... I'm thinking I need to plan a brunch soon so I can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmmm you had me at cheese! Love that you used turkey sausage too - delish <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I SOOO need this on the morning of a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!! Talk about a breakfast of champions!! I make a similar Southwestern Quiche! Love ya, Girl! And thank you so much for your support last night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a good breakfast casserole and this one looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the idea of using turkey sausage in this! what a fab recipe, so thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at gooey cheese!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy! I love making breakfast casseroles, they are just the perfect comfort food for breakfast! Love the southwestern ingredients too!

    Xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE recipes like this for lazy weekend mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm starving right now, so this looks EXTRA yummy!! I'm a huge fan of any type of casserole, they make the perfect breakfast, and snack too! Have a wonderful week, my friend! -xo

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Breakfast casseroles are seriously the best and easiest thing to whip together. I also like that they feed a good amount of people and only used one dish for a complete meal. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious! Breakfast casseroles are so easy to put together, yet they taste so good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love breakfast casseroles. And they usually are even better reheated!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the feature, you 100% deserve it gorgeous! And this breakfast is right up my alley, as much as I love my sweets, because I work out in the mornings I LOVE a nice hearty breakfast. And really, you can't beat turkey sausage! Hope you are having a wonderful week my beautiful friend! XO -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! I bet it's filling too with the sausage. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This would be right up my hubby's alley. And, easy to make gluten free just subbing our gf brand of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My tummy just growled, hah. I love Jenny-o! Pork gives me wicked migraines so I only eat turkey bacon & sausage. I want a piece of this tomorrow morning! I'm going to pin it and make this this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cheese AND Southwestern? Yes, please! This looks so good! Definitely need to try this some Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks like a delicious way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on the Queen Bee feature! I need a new brunch casserole - I've been making the same one for years. Will definitely give this a try! Heading over to read about you now :)!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this looks so good !!!! My husband would love the southwest kick. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG this sounds soooo good. I love pies and casseroles and I super super love thing. Anything cheese and I am in. LOL

    Hope all is well, Beautiful! Welcome by. =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I see brunch or a decadent breakfast in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks delicious! My mom used to always make a breakfast casserole for holidays when we were growing up. They were always so good. We usually had salsa on the side, but I love the idea of stirring it in!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ThesThese sound great!! I'd love it if you shared at the "What's for Dinner" linky !
    http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-linky-26/e sound great!! I'd love it if you shared at the "What's for Dinner" linky !
    http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-linky-26/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some of my favorite flavors here! This looks like brunch perfection :) Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We love breakfast casserole and I'm looking forward to trying your recipe! Pinning and tweeting to share. Thank you so much for linking up with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks really tasty! Would love to have you share on my linky party – What’s for Dinner!
    http://www.lazygastronome.com/whats-for-dinner-sunday-link-up-27/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love breakfast casserole! This one looks wonderful! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks yummy, and easy to make - my favorite! Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks delicious!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would love to have a stash of this in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can you make this ahead and refrigerate overnight before baking like a lot of breakfast casseroles?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS