CHANNELING PRETTY WOMAN

Happy Day Pretty Women!!!!

Pulled this post back out for Feb. 2018 Ageless Style Link-UP

In honor of the 25 Year Anniversary of one of my all time favorite movies, I pulled my "Pretty Woman" dress out of the closet. About 16 years ago, I found this beautiful dress at at Garage Sale for get this: $2!!!!
Two dollars!!!






25 YEARS!
It was 1990, I was a freshman in college in a movie theater watching an R rated movie! Oh my!
I sat there and feel in love with Richard Gere and idolized Julia Roberts. No, not because she was making her living as a hooker but because this movie was her breakout role as Vivian Ward. She instantly became America’s Sweetheart, making goofy synonymous with sexy and infecting us with her gaping, full-throttle laugh… plus she reminded us a bubble bath filled with Prince tunes is better than life itself. Opposite to her outspoken, brazen Vivian was emotionally repressed but uber hot corporate businessman Edward Lewis, played by Richard Gere. Hubba Hubba!



 The movie was FUN! Some great lines like the above. I am sure many if us have been in a store and wanted to say this. Also the ("If I forget to tell you later, I had a really nice time tonight"), some great scenes (the dress shopping, the opera) and some great music. What's not to like?



To me it was a movie about two people who really "got" one another. He saw past her blonde wig and less than honorable profession and she saw past his money and corporate attitude. They seemed to fit together well and recognized that, which is why he asked her to stick around instead of sending her on her way after their tryst and why she didn't just take the money and run after the sales girl wouldn't wait on her. It kind of leads you to feel like maybe there is someone out there who would stick around through it all. I know as a naive college freshman, I sure believed it!



 I think the appeal is that it's basically a retelling of Cinderella. She's a poor nobody, an amazing thing happens and she gets the prince and the pretty dresses.

It's about rescuing and redemption.
If Cat had gotten in the Lotus instead of Viv, then Edward would have given her bus money after he got to the hotel and it would have been a very short movie.

The tale, importantly, goes both ways. “And what does she do after he rescues her?” Edward asks, after he rides to Vivian on a white horse in a white limo to declare his love. Vivian doesn’t miss a beat: “She rescues him right back.”

xoxo
LINKING UP WITH Ageless Style
 
 A Favorite PW Quote:
Vivian: You're late.
Edward Lewis: You're stunning.
Vivian: You're forgiven.

18 comments:

  1. So cute!! And two dollars?! Amazing!! I love polka dots too. Pretty Woman is a great movie too! I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much my dear!!!! Yep $2 garage sale find, probably best ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - it's a dead ringer for the pretty woman dress!! it's definitely one of my favorite movies!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Biana! Couldn't resist the $2 find and to feel like Julia Roberts! Ha!

      Delete
  4. That dress is a steal of a find! You look just like JR in it! I love that movie, and will never turn it off if I see it on! It is such a modern day Cinderella tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you just the sweetest!!!! Thanks so much, it's a classic for sure!!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your post :) I love when fashion is mixed with storytelling! Now I really want to watch PW again...your dress looks perfect, just like hers--and for only $2!! What a smart find :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Pretty Woman look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress! What an awesome steal for $2. Now you should just walk into a store and randomly tell the sales girl she made a big mistake while you show off your new purchase...I mean she might be confused but you will have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous idea Tiffany!!!! I'd probably start laughing and she would really think I'm nuts!!!! Happy Sunday my sweets!!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Wow that dress was such a bargain, and really does look just like the pretty woman dress, what a great find! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mica and girl, your blog rocks!! :-)

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12.4.15

    This is so beautiful! I love it! Such a vintage feel <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie!!! Happy Sunday xo

      Delete
  10. Wow that dress matches almost exactly the one she's wearing! Great garage sale find! I only saw Pretty Woman once when I was younger. I don't really remember it! I need to watch that again now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you nailed this look, Andrea!!!
    You are fabulous!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love that you chose this. That was always my favorite dress she wore in the movie! I'm also glad you chose to channel Vivian AFTER her transformation.;-)

    Paula
    www.dimplesonmywhat.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you in that dress! I remember searching for a dress like the Pretty Woman dress forever and finally settled for a pink one with white polka dots...

    Andrea
    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS