HUMMINGBIRD CAKE



I love hummingbirds, everyone in my family loves hummingbirds. For me, I cannot see a hummingbird without thinking of my dear grandma, who many of you know passed away at 93 in April of 2016. She fed them and adored all the sweet hummingbirds that came to her home. I wished I would have thought of this cake when she was alive as she'd have loved it. The warm and sweet flavors are reminiscent of precious little hummingbirds which are so sweet and watching them warms your heart! 
Yum  


This cake originated in Greensboro, North Carolina by a L.H. Wiggins. This recipe was her most requested and I can see why. It is delicious and so special to make for those you love. The bananas, pineapple and cinnamon create the best flavor. 




So Moist and Delightful. That cream cheese frosting is everything. It is truly the perfect cake for the Holiday Season and will WOW your guests.

What you'll need

HUMMINGBIRD CAKE
Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups canola or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 bananas, chopped 
Whole pecans, cranberries, optional for decoration
For Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (32oz) package powdered sugar, sifted 

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add eggs and oil and stir until just moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple and bananas. Spoon batter into 3 well-greased (with shortening and flour) 9" pie pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes completely in the pan, about an hour. While cooling, make the cream cheese frosting by first mixing together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then slowly mix in the sifted powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until fluffy. Place first cake layer on a serving platter and spread some frosting to cover the layer well, add the second layer, repeat, then the final layer. Frost the top and sides until smooth. Arrange the pecans and if desired cranberries in a circular pattern. Serves 12.
Look at those golden beauties! 

xoxo


33 comments:

  1. Oh get behind me,you cake temptress! This sounds absolutely delicious ... I'm tasting that frosting rug now and it's heavenly.
    Hugs, x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Glitter...that cakes looks to die for! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, does this look delicious, Andrea! Can you believe I've never tried Hummingbird Cake?! I think that needs to change. Once the craziness of the Christmas slows down, I'm going to have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing and Happy Tuesday!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks delicious! I have heard about the hummingbird cake (in Southern Living magazine) but never tried it! I'll have to give it a try this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a hummingbird cake before! My grandma loves hummingbirds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect cake for the season! I made this cake for my grandmother's birthday years wgo - she's been gone almost 20 years now so it was awhile ago. I remember how delicious it was. Beautiful cake from a beautiful lady!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful cake! Can you believe I've never made a hummingbird cake? I really must change that. My great grandma loved hummingbirds as well. My cousins and I would count the hummingbirds in her house when we went to visit. This whole post makes me smile! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good. Ive never heard of this before. I LOVEEE hummingbirds. Being from the Caribbean Im blessed to see them quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very yummy! Cream cheese frosting is the BEST!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh! The fruit flavors and cinnamon sound like such an interesting combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like pineapple but this cake does look look yummy!! My in-laws used to have hummingbirds visit their bird house ALL of the time. But I never got to see one!! :-( Anyway, thank you for sharing and I hope that you have a lovely day!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I had to pop in here and tell you that you can't really taste the pineapple in this cake. It just makes it nice and moist.

      Delete
  12. One of my very favorite cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake looks so yummy and I love the memories it brings back for you. Hummingbirds are so fascinating. My Dad has a few feeders at his house and every summer while we are sitting out at the pool they will fly around us. The boys have loved being able to see them too. Sierra~Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hummingbirds are beautiful and so is this cake! What found memories they bring for you too. The flavors of this cake sound absolutely delightful!!! I am going to have to save this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your desserts are always so beautiful, and this cake sounds delicious as well! I think that I've only had Hummingbird cake once or twice, but I remember how delicious it was!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE hummingbird cake!!! Oh my gosh, so so good!!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds fantastic, and it's so pretty, too! You always have the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not had this in years, so yummy and so many memories! And cream cheese icing/frosting IS everything! I need to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg I've heard about hummingbird cakes and I always wanted to it out! I'm sure your grandma would have loved it!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of our all time favorite cakes. I haven't made it in a long time and perhaps this will serve as a prompt to make one. I hope today has been good and all has gone smoothly. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH mercy - I havent had one of these in the longest time. I love this kind so much.... I need to bribe someone to make one for me ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a delicious cake! I had a piece when we went to Gray's Cafeteria in Mooresville. Too bad it makes such a huge cake...wonder how it would freeze? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds amazing. Would love for you to stop by http://diyhsh.com/ and link up your cake up to More The Merrier Monday.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well I'd practically eat cream cheese frosting on a leather shoe, but I somehow know that hummingbird cake would be a much better choice. No doubt it's delicious if it comes from your kitchen sweet friend. Hope the week is going smoothly and your stress level isn't through the roof. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eye catching and yummy sounding, two of my favourite words! Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous cake for the holidays! I've had a hummingbird cake saved for years and have never gotten around to making it, but you might have just inspired me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love hummingbird cake, but never knew how to make it. I need to make this this year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your Hummingbird Cake looks delicious! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  29. My Mom used to make this so I know how fabulous this cake is! Thanks for partying with us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I"ve always wanted to make one of these, and never try! Thanks for sharing at our Cupcake & cake party for Celebrate365 Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I want to make one of these cakes too! Look sos yummy! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! We hope you will join us again next week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS