CHICKEN SALTIMBOCA

I really love Italian cooking. However, I do not like a lot of pasta or a heavy-laden cream sauce and often get tired of the red sauce. One of my cooking idols is Gianna De Laurentiis and I had the pleasure of seeing her in person on the Today Show several years ago. This recipe is derived from an episode of her show Everyday Italian. I love the flavor of the prosciutto with the chicken and the reduced cooking liquid adds just the right touch for this dish. This is a delightful low carb and another recipe that is almost better the next day. 





What you'll need

Chicken Saltimboca
INGREDIENTS 
6 thin chicken cutlets pounded thin and flat
1 cup light zesty Italian dressing
6 thin slices of prosciutto
1 (10 oz) box of frozen spinach, thawed
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1 (14 oz) can of low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons of lemon juice, either bottled or fresh
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place all the chicken cutlets in a shallow dish and pour the Italian dressing on top. Place dish in refrigerator and marinate the chicken for at least an hour or you can even marinate it overnight. When ready to begin a chicken assembly, placed the chicken cutlets on the worksurface. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay one slice up a shooter on each chicken cutlet. In a small bowl, Squeeze the thawed spinach to remove any excess water. Season this meat with salt and pepper and a little bit of olive oil. Arrange an even layer of spinach a top each other prosciutto slices. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly over each beginning at the short tapered end of the chicken roll up each cutlet like a jelly roll and secure with a toothpick. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat.  Add the chicken and cook until golden brown about two minutes on each side. Add in the chicken broth and the lemon juice. Bring that liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Simmer the liquid over high heat until until it is reduced to about 2/3 of a cup, about five minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper. Remove the toothpicks from the chicken and drizzle the cooking liquid over the chicken. Serve immediately or is delicious cold the next day as well.


Thinly pounded chicken topped with a prosciutto slice and thawed spinach


Some good shredded Parmesan on top 

Fresh from the skillet. Allow to cool before slicing.

The sauce from the pan is so so good!




Happy Tasty Tuesday Italian Lovers!!




xoxo

27 comments:

  1. These looks so good! I’m with you! I love Italian but can’t handle the heaviness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We had Chicken Saltimboca last week, my mom's friend had a huge Italian dinner delivered to us and it was so good! This lighter version looks tasty and much more figure friendly!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful dish and perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you made this lighter! I'm a fan of anything that includes prosciutto and this looks so good!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love that show and Giada too! This looks so tasty and pretty healthy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of Eric's favorite dishes when we go out to eat but I've never attempted to make it for him at home. ImI definitely saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, another delicious looking recipe! Isn't it interesting how with some recipes the flavor develop a little better overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Italian is my favorite, too- this looks so yummy!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO YUMMY! I love that they are low carb. Italian is one of my favorites too. I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PINNED!!!! looks so yummy.
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! You know I love a low carb dish and this sounds right up my alley! Giada is one of my faves too, I want to eat at her place in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and tasty looking meal! I'm ready to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldnt figure out that that was chicken rolled up - I thought it was mushrooms at first

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Italian, too!! These look so yummy! And they're really pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yum! These look amazing! I love having Italian recipe options that aren't loaded with carbs! Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Andrea, oh this chicken dish looks so good. My husband is Italian and I know this would be a winner with him and my daughter. This looks even nice to serve when you are entertaining friends or family. Thanks I can't wait to try this.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at prosciutto

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh these look so delish! What a great dish for a party or appetizer!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband loves such dishes

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure this is so yummy. It reminds me of a dish I made a ton when we were first married but I made it once when I was pregnant with Benny and was up sick in the middle of night. I've only made it once since then. Darn you morning sickness! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great way to "sneak" spinach onto the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This look sooo good dear. Thanks I need to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok I'm drooling now! This looks amazing. I love trying new recipes with chicken since it's definitely my favorite protein to cook for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing! This year we are trying a new recipe every week and this will definitely be one of them. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS