STOUT BEEF STEW


This stew is the bomb on a cool, Fall or Winter day! I can't believe it's been a few years since I've made it as it is truly the most flavorful beef stew I have ever had. I mean, come on, add a dark stout beer and bam, it makes you feel as if you're ladling this out in a kitchen in an Irish pub! This is one of those true crock pot winners as it cooks 8-9 hours in low and the house smells amazing! I always serve dense, tender biscuits with stew and have even been known to add chucks of the biscuit right into my stew as I'm eating it as I mention the last time I shared a stew recipe with you. 
Yum  

Last year I brought you a Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe that is another favorite and it has chunks of potato in it but this one has the taste of the beef cooked in bacon drippings and the dark beer mixed with the tender veggies has this booming with flavor. 




An added note is that you don't actually use the bacon in this recipe, only the drippings. So, what I do is make this on a Sunday and I take the bacon pieces and make my recipe for Chicken & Bacon Alfredo Roll-Ups and then there's two meals ready to go for the week.


What you'll need


STOUT BEEF STEW
Ingredients
1 pound bacon
2-3 pounds beef stew pieces
1/2 cup flour, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
3/4 cup carrot chunks
1/2 cup celery pieces
1 cup cut up white mushrooms
2 teaspoons minced garlic
12 ounces stout beer (or you can use 1 1/2 cups full bodied red wine)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water to thicken
Can serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes, Parsley or Rosemary to garnish.

Directions
Cook the bacon in a large skillet and reserve the bacon for another use. Place the flour, salt and pepper in a gallon bag and add beef chunks, shaking until coated. Brown beef on both sides and add to the crock pot. In the same drippings, add the carrots, celery, mushroom and garlic and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes and add to the crock. Pour bottle of beer over, with the water and place the bay leaf on top. Cover and cook for 8-9 hours on low until the neat is falling apart tender. If desired, about 30 minutes before serving, can thicken with the smoothed mixture of the cornstarch and water. Cover and continue cooking until thick, remove bay leaf and serve alone or over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes is how I served it.





xoxo

38 comments:

  1. I LOVE beef stew but my family is not a fan :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, Andrea! I haven't made beef stew in so long, it really is the perfect fall and winter dinner. Thanks for the reminder, I will have to add this to my weekly dinner list! Happy Tuesday!

    xo, Rachel
    A Blonde's Moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make this - of course I say this about all of your recipes because they are all so good. This really looks delicious!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! It would be the perfect thing after a long cold day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love beef stew - especially on a fall/winter day!

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna try this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's Sundays food sorted. Thank you.

    http://www.muttonstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering. I love a good beef stew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe would be perfect for here in da boot today!! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing!! We put beer in our chili so I know this is wonderful.

    Can't wait to see how you are doing in your new home. Loved the sweet Christmas card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12.12.17

    This looks so amazing ! I've been wanting a good recipe on a beef stew ! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good beef stew when it's cold out. I can't get the boys to eat it though :( Sierra~Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks SO yummy! I'm coming over immediately to eat it! ;)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me with stout and I stayed for the crock pot. I am just going to leave the mushrooms out because gross! Haha :) This sounds so perfect right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like such a MAN meal with beef cooking in beer. Good for the soul on a winter's night

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness does this sound delicious! Adding the bacon drippings I’m sure makes this stew!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beef stew sounds great right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love beef stew. It is highly underrated. I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get in my belly please! This sounds so delightfully delicious! I know your boys love you even more when you make this for them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm, that stew looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. anything with beef - SIGN ME UP! I love love love a good beef stew and yours looks perfect and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so not a cook, but every time I read one of your posts with a recipe, I am inspired! This looks delish!!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mouth is watering!! Beef Stew is a favorite of mine and I haven't made it in years! Totally pinning, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds SO good! I haven't ever made beef stew... clearly I should use your recipe and fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You read my mind! I was just thinking that I wanted to make beef stew this weekend since it's been forever and it's perfect for the cold! I'm drooling over your recipe. Pinning asap!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh this looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing Andrea!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, we do love Beef Stew here at our house and this looks divine! Thanks for sharing and I do hope things are moving along smoothly for the move in.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh one of my favourite meals, my mum always used to cook this for us, with roast potatoes and dumplings - delicious. x Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holy cow, I am so making this...maybe on Sunday..oh wait we're out of town, okay not sure when I'm making this, but I am making this! Look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh heavens....this looks amazing! I need to beef up my stew

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is a Beef Stew kind of day here, your stew would be delicious! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for the party!
    Merry Christmas,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE beer in stew! Thanks for sharing with Party in Your PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks wonderful. Stew is one of the best things to eat during the cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My kind of comfort food! Now I am craving Beef Stew. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love beef stew and your recipe sounds delish. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle. I am featuring your recipe at the party tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Andrea- just wanted to know I just made this and put it in the crock pot! Can't wait to enjoy it!! Do I just put the bottle of stout beer in and no extra water (until it is time to thicken it at the very end)? I can't wait to eat this later, it smells so good! I am just going to serve it with some biscuits I'll bake later to make it super easy!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS