PUMPKIN NANAIMO BARS

Oh are you in for a treat! Several of My sweet Blended Blog sisters are from Canada so when we went on our blogger trip to Toronto last year, they introduced us sweets loving Americans to the utterly scrumptious Nanaimo Bar, a Canadian sweet treat staple. I was hooked! Oh that creamy filling! In true Andrea Fall Style, I thought mmmm, let’s add some pumpkin to this and wowzers, a new pumpkin concoction was born. Now, it’s just a little ole 3rd cup so if you don’t want your Nanaimo bars to be pumpkin, just omit. BUT if you’re a pumpkin lover like me and loved my past two years of Pumpkin Palooza, then I bet you’ll love these rich, decadent treats! 
Yum  

 In honor of yesterday been the Canadian Thanksgiving and several of them heading out on a trip South To Hilton Head & Savannah in a few days, I thought this week was the perfect one to celebrate the Nanaimo Bar! I sure will miss those babes this week!

What you'll need

Pumpkin Nanaimo Bars
INGREDIENTS 
Bottom Layer
1/2 cup salted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Filling
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup pumpkin purée 
2 Tbsp custard powder or vanilla instant pudding
3 cups powdered sugar

Top Layer
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 Tbsp salted butter

DIRECTIONS 
For the Base Layer: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add in brown sugar and cocoa powder, stir until combined. Quickly stir in beaten egg and Return to heat for 1-2 minutes stirring the entire time. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, then add graham crackers, coconut and pecans. Mix well, press mixture into bottom of a buttered 9x9 or 11x7 baking dish. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. To prepare the filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, heavy cream and vanilla pudding mix (or custard powder) until fluffy. Add pumpkin and beat until just mixed. Add powered sugar and beat until smooth, about a minute. Spread mixture over base layer and refrigerate for another 30 minutes. For top layer: After removing pan from refrigerator, melt chocolate chips and butter in a double broiler or microwave until just melted. Quickly spread on top filling layer. Chill in refrigerator until chocolate has set, about 10 minutes. Cut into bars and store in airtight container.
**Note, omit the pumpkin for regular Nanaimo Bars



Chocolate and creamy pumpkin heaven!!

HAPPY TASTY OCTOBER TUESDAY!

36 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had the nanaimo bars. What a great idea to add pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness these look GOOD! I've never had one of these bars but darn they look so delicious it may just be time to give them a try! Oh how I wish I could just bake the day away!!! These look about as sweet and wonderful as you!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have still never had a nanaimo bar, but this pumpkin version really makes me want to try one. YUMMMMMMMMM! Have a great day, sweet lady! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy! I've never heard of nanimo bars but I'm going to have to make asap! I love the addition of pumpkin!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at pumpkin! Wow these look amazing, thanks for sharing your lovely recipe (and self)! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound (and look) delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH I love Nanaimo bars and this pumpkin one looks amazing! We have a bakery owned by Canadians and their homemade nanaimo bars are my favorite! That is all I am going to be thinking about for the next few days. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome adaptation- you can also do mint, baileys, irish cream...so many different ways to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of nanaimo bars! But, if it's Canadian, that would be why. I should be more brave and daring like you and throw pumpkin into some recipes that don't call for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll make these and share with my bible study friends. One of the girls is from Canada and she's the one who told me about them this summer. Thanks friend! XO (pinning too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are perfect for a fall party or gathering! & especially Thanksgiving!
    I'm just trying to figure out how to pronounce the word Nanaimo haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every single bit of these sounds so delicious. Wow- what a great treat. I’ll have to make these sometime. It’s been a while since I’ve baked in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound scrumptious! I will have to make them ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy yum, Andrea! I never liked pumpkin everything before getting pregnant this time around...now it's all I want! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I think I need to try these and soon! You have the best bar recipes. :) I just pinned these to my Fall pin board. :) I have a little get-together at my friend's new house early next month, I may make these thin! :)

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think that there could be a more delicious dessert, especially for the fall! I had no idea what Nanaimo was until I read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look and sound delicious!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  19. These pumpkin bars look so yummy! Thanks for the recipe I pinned and would love to make these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect & sweet for Fall! Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH FOR THE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, I love ALL things pumpkin so I'm sure I would love these, just as I have other of your awesome recipes. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl...do you not realize I need to shed the pounds I packed on from our Alaskan cruise?? How can I do that when you're tempting me with these??
    Oy, yoy, yoy!!
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh. my. goodness. These look divine! The dip in temperatures that comes with fall always makes me want to bake! I so need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds so yummy, going to have to add it to my list of fall treats to make!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I've heard of Nanaimo bars but never actually tried them before! But I think you've outdone yourself with a pumpkin version!! These look soooo good!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never heard of these before but my goodness do they look delicious!!! Sierra Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yep i am definitely making these.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummm delish!!!! I love layered bars!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your Pumpkin Nanaimo Bars look fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ohhh my husband would love these!! Thanks for linking up with us today =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have never heard of these but I am pinning them to try!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A different version to try. I have made Nanaimo bars for years, never with pumpkin. I am happy to feature these babies at Love Your Creativity.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS